Sunday, December 4, 2011

My first race... Jingle Bell 5K

Well, the day had come... my very first race. I had done the distance many times so I wasn't too worried about that. I was looking forward to the race to get some experience before the half marathon. It turned out that I learned many things.

One of my besties, Natasha, decided she wanted to do the race with me. She wasn't a runner but wanted to come along anyway. I had 2 other runner friends that wanted to come along. It was going to be a group. My friend Pam, who is a rock star runner, said she'd stick with me whether I walked or ran or whatever... It turned out she didn't mean half of this statement. What she did was made me run the entire time. She almost killed me. I finished the race with my best time to date, 11:28. I think I killed a few brain cells in the process but I did it.

Note to self... RUN MY OWN RACE! I need to make sure that I am not trying to keep up with anyone or set any type of record. The only one I am competing with is myself. I learned that I need to shake up my training runs a bit more. The terrain, which was really fine, was harder on me than I thought it would be. There was a lot of concrete and I need some more concrete training. But... I crossed the finish line with my best time to date. I guess it wasn't all that bad. Once I caught my breath :)

It was so nice that my mom come down to watch... Dan was there... and it turned out to be a great day.



Natasha and I ready to go!

Pam, me and Natasha... entering Liberty Park

Natasha, Pam, me and Pam's daughter Jessica

No comments: