Monday, December 12, 2011

Half Marathon Training - Week 4

I think unless something really interesting happens, I will just summarize my weekly training. This week went by pretty much the same as the previous 3 weeks. I did buy a few more things for my winter wardrobe. My bedroom is literally covered in running gear. I am a member of a running community called "Daily Mile." I really love being a part of it and getting some encouragement from other runners across the country. It's pretty cool. There is so much advice and support. I was reading a thread last night about investing in the sport of running and what was the best "investment". This guy wrote this:

A spouse who gets it. As far as an investment goes this is oft. over looked but it's a big one. She gives me time, tolerates stinking synthetic clothes hanging on every possible fixture in the bathroom, is the loudest voice at my finishes and still listens unfailingly as I drone on about pace, stride, this race or that

I thought this was such a great post. And so true too. Dan is definitely my biggest fan. And rightly so I guess. I wish I had some running buddies, because I really don't. I have some really good friends that run, but I don't really have someone to run with on a regular basis. Although I would quickly be left in the dust unless I found someone that was just beginning like me.

This week I ran 20 miles! Who knew I was capable of running 20 miles in a week!? NOT ME! I would say that 10 of them were pretty miserable. Ok... maybe 8 :) This is not an easy sport for me to pick up. For some reason, for the past year (almost) I have wanted to be a runner. I guess I am a runner, since I am running. But I want to be one of those people in the park with a nice ass that seem to be effortlessly running along enjoying the great outdoors. Whatever.

It's amazing how everything I do now seems to have running in the background. I try to eat and drink according to what run I need to do on my training schedule. It's amazing the changes that have occurred around here. I know my peeps are wondering just what is happening to me. The truth... trying to do everything possible so that I don't die out there on the trail. If that means I give up soda, I'll gladly give up soda so I can breathe. I'll eat shit like oatmeal and yogurt so I can have a bit of energy for my run. I'll not drink on the nights before a run because... well, I've done that and it didn't work out too well. SO, this running thing has turned me into a different person.

My training weeks are like this: Mondays are my weight and stretching days. I can do whatever I want as long as there is some resistance training and stretching. This is a very important day and JUST as important as a running day. I am not to do heavy weights but light weights and many reps. This will help my muscle mass and this will help me run better. YAY! I don't want to miss these days. Tuesdays are shorter runs... week 5 makes Tuesdays 4 mile runs. These days are gradually increasing in mileage. Wednesdays are short run days.... 2 miles... this sounds easy-peasy but these are supposed to be faster or work in some hills... I just have to switch it up in a way that challenges everything. Hell, just getting out of the house is challenging. Isn't that enough? Ummm, no. These days are really hard for me because going faster is almost impossible and so are hills... but I try and that's all I can do right now. I can't wait until I get to a point where it's like "OH WOW! I haven't been able to do that before!" Thursdays are running days also... like Tuesdays, these are a middle of the road mileage. I am supposed to combine some weight training with my Thursday runs, so I have been trying to make it to Pilates. Not only is the class amazing!!! It also provides an amazing stretch for a runner. Fridays are my rest days and I like Fridays best. I don't do anything. I even fight walking out to the mail box. I'm supposed to rest! Saturdays are cross training days and these are important also. I'm supposed to something that is a low/no impact. I've been swimming and it feels wonderful. I don't do laps or anything really structured, but I do swim for about an hour. And then I sit in the glorious hot tub at the gym. I love Saturdays. Then comes Sunday... Sundays are my long run days. I kind of dread them, but in a way I kind of like knowing that I am getting better at this running stuff. This last Sunday I ran just over 6 miles. AT ONE TIME! Amazing! That is seriously a LONG way if you Google Map it! I can't believe I am going to run a bit more than twice this amount. I try not to look ahead too much. It doesn't do me any good to look at the 13.1 miles and how I'll get there. I'm doing what I am supposed to do to get there. I guess I have to believe in the plan.

This entire week has been in the low 30s. It's been pretty sunny but the inversion has been terrible. I'm just glad I have had this time outside. I think my time is coming where I'm going to have to move indoors to the track and then try and figure out how I'm not going to go insane running in circles?

I'm thinking of doing a 10K for New Years Eve. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Even though I am on week 5 of my training schedule, I've been training for a full two months today. Two months ago today I took my secret want of becoming a runner out in the open by registering for a half marathon. So... in two months time I've lost a whopping 3 WHOLE pounds! Unbelievable. I have ran 150 miles in TWO MONTHS! My training plan says I've burned 122 doughnuts. WTF? I should have eaten them then! 3 measly pounds. Damn! Oh well... I find this is a pretty normal phenomenon so I'll just go with it for now. I've given up all kinds of good stuff too :O( Like WINE! My wine consumption has seriously taken a nose dive. I've also given up most of my Diet Coke. Those that know me know that this is more serious than taking up running. I love my soda. But... I've given up all but one Diet Coke a day. And now I even forget to have that here and there. Shocker! I will say that I am seeing changes in my body. I haven't noticed so much in the clothes that I wear yet. But I do think I am looking better overall. I guess that is something.

Also... everything from the waist down hurts. In case there are some beginner runners than have happened along my blog... everything hurts. You are not alone. It takes a lot of Motrin to get me through all this. Luckily the things that are doing pretty good are my feet. No blisters and no real pain. Woohoo! I wish my poor little shins could say the same. But I'll take what I can get. My hard, foam roller is my bestie through all of this. I use it religiously twice a day. Before a run... before bed... some times just for fun. It hurts like bitch, but it's so worth it. I'm also semi-besties with my two bags of frozen peas. They are IDEAL for ice packs. They fit over my legs very well and I can reuse them over and over. I will feel bad for whoever housesits and I have forgotten to tell them NOT to use the frozen peas in the freezer. heehee

4 weeks down and 8 to go!

No comments: