Friday, September 4, 2009

September 3rd, 2009 - Ground Zero, a French favorite, and MAMMA MIA!!!

We woke up this morning to TONS of fire trucks and all sorts of emergency vehicle noises. This is nothing new in NYC so we just lazed around in bed and then got ready... we walked out of our hotel and saw what all the commotion was about. Apparently a cab burned to the ground. It was way worse than these photos show. Wild! There were news crews all over the place. Interesting to say the least... this happened right in front of my favorite drink stop... La Maison.


After taking pictures of the burnt cab we were off to find breakfast. I knew a place in the neighborhood where I had been before. Route 66 Cafe. It is a great spot for breakfast with sidewalk seating (my favorite thing).

After breakfast it was a trip downtown to do some shopping, see how Ground Zero was coming along, and take a walk along the Hudson River. I have been by Ground Zero since the beginning and I find it fascinating the progress that has gone on there. You can only get photos through a few look-out points. This is one of the walkways above the site. There is so much going on but you can't really tell just what. This entire area is where both towers of the World Trade Center stood. It doesn't look that big until you get right there.

After some shopping and a walk around Ground Zero, we walked along the Hudson river. It is a gorgeous walk and we do it every time we go. It was such a nice day.

I had arranged for us to have a pre-theatre dinner at a place that was supposed to be "like" my favorite place in Paris. L'Entrecote. It was quite similar, but just not the same. It was very good but you need to try the REAL thing in Paris. The place serves the same way. It is JUST steak and fries (Steak Frites) Everyone has the same thing for dinner. There is no menu. You sit down and the waitress comes and asks how you would like your steak. The meal begins with a salad and bread... then the steak and fries come with this great sauce... then they come back with the second half of your steak after you finish the first half... and more fries. It really is so delish!



After dinner, it was time for our last show... Mamma Mia! Cindy and I had seen this on our last trip to New York, and I saw it on my last trip to New York with my mother... and even for my 3rd time seeing this show, it was still so much fun! I highly recommend seeing this on Broadway. There's nothing like it!

The stage of Mamma Mia.

Another perfect perfect day with my bestest friend in my favorite city in the USA.

No comments: